• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Plates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toomuchinfo

What is the name of your state? Oregon
My car was recently side-swiped (while it was parked, hit & run) to the point it where it was immobile. My boyfriend switched the plates of my immobile car to another one of my cars that had expired tags. I didn't have any money to pay to fix my car, and I needed to get around. My boyfriend took the car with the switched plates to a friend's apartment. The apartment manager found the car improperly parked and wanted to tow it. The plates were found to not match the vehicle, and my boyfriend got hauled off to jail! I must be the stupidest person when it comes to law, because I didn't know you could go to jail for something like this!!! If I knew the plates were switched from both cars that I own...am I going to do time too?? It doesn't seem like I or my boyfriend should have to go to jail for this, since I knew about it, and the vehicles are both in my name. I would think I would get some sort of ticket or something. Can I get my boyfriend out of jail?? Can I get my plates back??

Who's Liable?

mmm... I dodn't think we are getting the whole story... In most states, switching plates is a misdemeanor "Displaying Fictitious Plates" punishable by a fine of about $60.00... Check your states laws regarding this...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">