• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen property from work vehicle!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

annajo1

I am located in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl.. My work truck was recently broke into and my tools were all stolen. The value of these tools was around $850.00. I asked my boss about replacing the tools and was told that they will not be replaced by the business. I was never informed of this policy when hired, neither in writing nor verbally. I know a police report was filed but do not know if they are filing a insurance report. So my question is this. If nothing from the company was taken and they paid to have the truck fixed, "which only cost $15.00". If they included my tools in their claim, is that not insurance fraud and would they have to reimburse me for the tools? Second Question is, if they did not file a claim do I have a legal right to demand they replace my tools?

ALawyer

The second question is one of labor and employment law. I have no clue, but it might depend if the truck was broken into while on or off the job, and whose tools they were (that is, did they belong to the business or you personally).

As for the firm filing a claim, if they were your personal tools, the company would have no right to file a claim for them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">