• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Heybill

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

A local antiques dealer has closed his business and moved to KY. He has taken my property (antique phonograph valued at $900) and has not responded to my requests for contact. What do you suggest should be my next step in attempting to recover my property as well as pressing charges. Thanks for your help!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

A local antiques dealer has closed his business and moved to KY. He has taken my property (antique phonograph valued at $900) and has not responded to my requests for contact. What do you suggest should be my next step in attempting to recover my property as well as pressing charges. Thanks for your help!
You can contact the police about this matter, but I suspect they will tell you that it's a civil matter. You can sue the guy in small claims court. You are lucky in that this may be one of those rare cases in which you can sue the guy in YOUR state and not have to travel to KY to do it.

I am curious - how did you arrive at the value of $900?

Heybill

I have been collecting, restoring, buying and selling Edison Cylinder Phonographs for years. This particular model, as offered, would easily bring $900, or very close to that. There's always room for bargaining :D THANKS very much for your advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">