• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Soc.Sec. No.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
Hi all
My son lives near L.A. California. He and his wife had spent considerable time cleaning up their credit. They recently had it checked and found another guy, up in Washington, was using his soc.sec. number for about a year and has bought many items and has some credit cards. Unfortunately this screws my son from trying to obtain a house. Now, they don't know what they should do.
Any suggestions for a starting place appreciated.


Senior Member
My response:

That person is using your son's Social Security Number and is stealing your son's identity, undoubtedly, in an effort to escape whatever problems that person has. However, in the meantime, your son's financial life is in grave danger - - which can be ruined by this other person's use of your son's SS number.

In the United States, it's one person, one number. That's it.

Have your son contact ALL of the credit agencies and place them on Notice of his discovery and to place a notation in his records, and have them start an investigation to stop the other person.

To learn more, go here: http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential