• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen vehicle title and forged registration in another state.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

And she did admit to transferring it to Alaska, but not stealing the title, or forging my name. But that's the only way possible.

quincy

How puzzling.

I would file a police report. Although you still have the vehicle, your ex girlfriend has essentially stolen the vehicle from you by replacing your name with hers on the title.

Is the vehicle insured?

Sneaky and opportunistic is typical behavior for her. This is just another one of those things. Which is why I wanted her off of the original title. I didn't want to be connected with her in any way. But she illegally found a way, I guess.

quincy

Sneaky and opportunistic is typical behavior for her. This is just another one of those things. Which is why I wanted her off of the original title. I didn't want to be connected with her in any way. But she illegally found a way, I guess.
Sounds that way.

I would report the stolen title to the police.

Good luck.

Yes, originally it was a joint title, with mine and her name both, but she signed and notarized her name off, and it was in my name only for about 3 years, and it is still currently insured under my own policy. I have filed a police report, but haven't heard anything back about it yet. I agree, it is essentially the same as her stealing the actual vehicle. It is currently useless. Thank you all for the help. It sounds like I may be on the right track...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, originally it was a joint title, with mine and her name both, but she signed and notarized her name off, and it was in my name only for about 3 years, and it is still currently insured under my own policy. I have filed a police report, but haven't heard anything back about it yet. I agree, it is essentially the same as her stealing the actual vehicle. It is currently useless. Thank you all for the help. It sounds like I may be on the right track...
Apply for a bonded title in your name.

I wasn't sure if I could do that. I'll definitely have to look into that further. Can I do that, if there is an active title on it, in another state? I have all the paperwork showing it's been in my possession the whole time.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I wasn't sure if I could do that. I'll definitely have to look into that further. Can I do that, if there is an active title on it, in another state? I have all the paperwork showing it's been in my possession the whole time.
A "bonded title" is issued when there is some sort of problem with the title (yours is definitely a problem). Research it and decide if it's a viable option for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">