• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen wallet and green card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maciver

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hi. I am posting this message for a Brazilian friend who, in the excitement of the Gators NCAA victory, had her wallet stolen at the local bar. She has been told that it will cost her $200 dollars, that she will have to go through a bunch of the immigration process again, that it will take many months, and that she will lose a secure employment opportunity as a teacher as a result of being without the card. Is there anything she can do? She has filed a report with the police.

I have now taken my green card out of my wallet and stored it safely at home. I think I'd rather be fined for not having it with me than have it stolen and go through the horrible and expensive immigration process again!

Kirsty.

rmet4nzkx

maciver said:

Hi. I am posting this message for a Brazilian friend who, in the excitement of the Gators NCAA victory, had her wallet stolen at the local bar. She has been told that it will cost her $200 dollars, that she will have to go through a bunch of the immigration process again, that it will take many months, and that she will lose a secure employment opportunity as a teacher as a result of being without the card. Is there anything she can do? She has filed a report with the police.

I have now taken my green card out of my wallet and stored it safely at home. I think I'd rather be fined for not having it with me than have it stolen and go through the horrible and expensive immigration process again!

Kirsty.
Actually it will cost her $260 to replace the card but she can E file it so that may be quicker, here is the link.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/e-i-90.htm

evcalyptos

maciver said:

Kirsty.
Her status does not expire just because she lost her card. If she needs proof of her status, she can go to her District Office and request a stamp in her passport to tide her over until her replacement comes.
She does not have to re-immigrate, and she is still work authorized.

The police report was a good idea. Not carrying your card, well, not so good IMO.

Repeat: you do not go through the horrible and expensive immigration process just because you lost a card.
FGS.

maciver

Thanks so much for your advice. I will pass it on.

Does anyone know what the penalty of not having my green card on me on a day to day basis might be?

Thanks.

Kirsty

evcalyptos

maciver said:
Thanks so much for your advice. I will pass it on.

Does anyone know what the penalty of not having my green card on me on a day to day basis might be?

Thanks.

Kirsty
http://uscis.gov/lpBin/lpext.dll/inserts/slb/slb-1/slb-20/slb-7986?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm&2.0
(e) Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

There's an interesting thread discussing the pros/cons including impact on any future application for citizenship that you might make:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365086&pp=15

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">