• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stop Ex from buying insurance on brother's life

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

okdeb

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma
My brother agreed some time ago to allow his then girlfriend to purchase life insurance on him. His thoughts were burial costs at the time.
She is now an Ex-girlfriend and trying to purchase large policies on his life, using the permission he granted previously.

What, if anything can he do to prevent her from getting insurance on him and to stop or nullify any existing policies she might have?

She is a pretty nasty person and this has all of us worried. He just had a call within the last few days from an insurance company wanting him to submit to a physical for a new policy. He told the person calling that he was no longer involved with the individual trying to purchase the insurance, but we're concerned that she may already have other policies that he's not aware of.

okdeb

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
While I can't offer you an iron-clad guarantee, it is almost impossible for someone to buy an insurance policy on someone else without the someone else being aware of it. It's quite unlikely that she could submit an application to buy a policy on your brother without the insurance company wanting his signature, or a physical, or some other form of proof that he is aware of the policy being issued.

okdeb

Thank you for the reassurance. I didn't think she could either, but was worried about him having signed something awhile back.
We were both surprised by the call he had the other day from an insurance company to have a physical for a policy that his ex is trying to purchase on him.

Pretty good indication of bad intentions. My brother is only 50 years old and not in bad health. He can't even get a restraining or no contact order against her because she hasn't physically harmed him. She just persists in harassing him and showing up at his door.

I guess men don't expect to face this sort of situation.
Thank you for replying. I'm not as well informed as I could be on such matters.

okdeb

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">