• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I worked for a company for 4 weeks and two days. I was offerred a better position at another company, so I gave a week's notice to my present employer. Keep in mind that it was my 4th week and I still had not filled out any tax information, been told what my benefits were or given any type of employee handbook.

Well, my notice was given on a Friday, by Tuesday of the following week I decided I had enough. I talked the situation over with my spouse and we agreed that I would not return. I called the office the next morning and left word on her voicemail. I had appointments that afternoon so I was not able to return the office key until the following Monday. Well, as a result, my payroll check was stopped and the funds were withdrawn from my bank account. I called her about the situation and she stated that she stopped the check because I "stole her key" and didn't give her any written notice. That was the reasoning behind her actions. Where should I go from here? I did work for that entire pay period. Any direction you could give is greatly appreciated.



I would go to the labor board immediatly. The fact that you have not filled out any peper work (W-4) may be in question, but by law they must pay you for hours worked.


Yes definitely go to the Labor Board about this. The employer can't withhold any part of your wages to compensate for any missing equipment such as a key. The fact that you had not filled out a W-4 is not relevant to the fact situation. If anything, it was the employer's responsibility to have you fill it out promptly.

Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential