• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Store refusing to sell me stereo amplifier because

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rmdnj

New Jersey

Hello, I would like to purchase an stereo amplifier online from an audio store in another state with a synchrony store credit card which I acquired for their store. They are the only store in the US which sells this amplifier. The salesman said he would sell it to as a final sale, no return, contrary to the store's and synchrony's policy. He will sell it to me using a credit card or cash, but not with the synchrony card, because the synchrony card has a 30 day refund policy. He believes that the amplifier in question would not play as loudly as I stated that I sometimes listen to music. I have told him that I also have another solid state amplifier which plays loudly and the amp which I am trying to purchase I am buying because I wanted a tube amplifier for softer music. He is refusing to sell to me based on his opinion that it will not play loudly and thinks that I will return it after I have stated in multiple emails that I will not return the amp. He even stated in another email that "he has been selling Hifi for 25 years and will sell me anything that I want." My credit was run for synchrony, I have spoken with experts in the field who believe the amp will be fine with my speakers. Is there any way I can buy this amp, are my rights as a consumer and synchrony card holder being violated?
Thank you.

Rmdnj

New Jersey

Hello, I would like to purchase an stereo amplifier online from an audio store in another state with a synchrony store credit card which I acquired for their store. They are the only store in the US which sells this amplifier. The salesman said he would sell it to as a final sale, no return, contrary to the store's and synchrony's policy. He will sell it to me using a credit card or cash, but not with the synchrony card, because the synchrony card has a 30 day refund policy. He believes that the amplifier in question would not play as loudly as I stated that I sometimes listen to music. I have told him that I also have another solid state amplifier which plays loudly and the amp which I am trying to purchase I am buying because I wanted a tube amplifier for softer music. He is refusing to sell to me based on his opinion that it will not play loudly and thinks that I will return it after I have stated in multiple emails that I will not return the amp. He even stated in another email that "he has been selling Hifi for 25 years and will sell me anything that I want." My credit was run for synchrony, I have spoken with experts in the field who believe the amp will be fine with my speakers. Is there any way I can buy this amp, are my rights as a consumer and synchrony card holder being violated?
Thank you.
In addition, the speaker manufacturer said that the amplifier would be a good match for my speakers.

CdwJava

In truth, you do not have a "right" to make any purchase. The store owner or representative can often refuse a sale for almost any reason (unless it is because you are perceived to be a member of a "protected" class of people and that is the reason he is refusing the sale). As for a Synchrony card, these are not acceptable everywhere. Did you obtain the credit through the store you are trying to buy the speaker from?

Perhaps, you can speak to someone higher up on the food chain than the person you have been speaking with? I doubt the salesman has the final say in such a sale.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The store has no obligation to make the sale to you and can offer to make the sale on differing terms than you want so long as the reason for the the decision is not illegal discrimination (e.g. your race, color, religion, etc). Holding the synchrony card only gives you rights as against the issuer of the card as stated in whatever contract you have with the issuer. But maybe if you complain to the issuer it might be able to get the store to agree to let you buy it on the card.

FlyingRon

And since the store is a chain, you can try working your way up the management chain at the store (or just order from the web site).

I have a feeling what chain this is and I've run into some real dunderhead local managers there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">