• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Store rerfunds to a card already filed to bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beast07

I live in Arkansas. A Best Buy store accidently refunded for a cost of a dishwasher to an old credit card that has already been closed and filed into bankruptcy ch 7 about three years ago. They finally gave me a number to call. That # led to some collection agency. I didn't talk to them yet bc I want to know what are they going to say..."Sorry, we're going to keep the money!"....or..."We'll write you a check for that amount and send it to you."

Last edited:

quincy

I live in Arkansas. A Best Buy store accidently refunded for a cost of a dishwasher to an old credit card that has already been closed and filed into bankruptcy ch 7 about three years ago. They finally gave me a number to call. That # led to some collection agency. I didn't talk to them yet bc I want to know what are they going to say..."Sorry, we're going to keep the money!"....or..."We'll write you a check for that amount and send it to you."
The best way to learn what the collection agency is going to say is to speak to the collection agency.

adjusterjack

I'm betting on:

"Sorry, we're going to keep the money!".
Bankruptcy laws prevent them from pursuing collection but there is no law against passively receiving funds and applying them to the debt.

Oh, you might be able to report the refund to the bankruptcy trustee and the trustee might be able to recover the money. But it will just be distributed to your creditors anyway and you'll never see it.

beast07

I'm betting on:

Bankruptcy laws prevent them from pursuing collection but there is no law against passively receiving funds and applying them to the debt.

Oh, you might be able to report the refund to the bankruptcy trustee and the trustee might be able to recover the money. But it will just be distributed to your creditors anyway and you'll never see it.
Thank you for you valuable information!! I do appreciate it!!!

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

If the Chapter 7 bankruptcy listed Best Buy as a creditor and and the bankruptcy case is closed, then the money is yours. If the creditor tries to keep it in that circumstance, provide the creditor with the bankruptcy information and ask for the money back. If it does not return the money, you can go back to the bankruptcy court to force the creditor to pay you.

That assumes, of course, that you were entitled to the Best Buy refund in the first place. If you weren't ever entitled to the refund, then the answer you should hear is that the credit card company is giving back the erroneous refund to Best Buy.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Actually, there is. The discharge order would prevent that.

The money recovered might go to other creditors. More details are necessary to know that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">