• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Store screwed up...what would you do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anonaone

I made an online pickup in store purchase at a large national chain, $600 purchase. It came off my credit card. Within that purchase were many items I qualified for getting Various rebates to the tune of $400 Total. These rebates of course are time sensitive, must buy specific dates and must mail in by a deadline To receive. Also, the chain’s gimmick is to offer future store visit coupons worth so much on your next visit when you buy a certain amount, so I also received $180 of future visit store coupons, that had a limited redemption period. I picked up my order At the store about 5 days later. I used these future visit coupons, too. Then, another 5 days later I get an email saying ‘your order was cancelled because you didn’t pick it up’. I dismissed it as an error As I had picked up and my credit card wasn’t credited. At the time. Fast forward an additional week, and the full refund has hit my credit card. So I have all this product At home and in essence now didn’t pay for it. Do I have to drag it back to the store? I obviously won’t be crooked and file for the rebates. But if I return it all to the store, first it’s a huge hassle, we live 60 miles away Each way from the store. Second Im out the products and the sales prices and rebates I was going to use (Do the math Above...I was practically getting this stuff for free anyways after rebates and coupons, just for the time & hassle) and if I return them I have to find other gifts to give those who were going to receive some of this stuff, so I lose money savings and my time big time. Third, my fear is if I return them, they’ll just want to re charge me and send me home with them...which I don’t want them even if they price match the sales prices because again, I won’t qualify for the Additional, time sensitive, rebates Buying them now. Fourth, if I give all this product back to the store OR I give it as presents or to charities and later the error is discovered on their end, can they re charge my credit card for it (and I would have no product)? THEN the other complication also comes from the store coupons I earned and used. I’m afraid they’re going to charge me for those, as well, if I call their attention to this. I used them not Knowing of the can of worms here, and used them with the mentality of they were saving me money off their current prices which are way inflated already, aka prices I would not have paid had I not had their earned store coupons Reducing the cost and motivating me To buy. In other words I certainly don’t put $180 real value in what I bought with them and it would be very unfair for them to say I owe them $180 for those coupons. I’m in an ethical predicament but also a ‘what’s my consumer rights considering how much time and hassle this has and could cost me by doing the right thing for the business which is to return the products’? Ive debated if donating it all to unrelated charity may just be the most ethical thing. One time this chain sent me the wrong item and told me just to donate it, and sent me a replacement. That was one $40 item though not hundreds.

Just Blue

I made an online pickup in store purchase at a large national chain, $600 purchase. It came off my credit card. Within that purchase were many items I qualified for getting Various rebates to the tune of $400 Total. These rebates of course are time sensitive, must buy specific dates and must mail in by a deadline To receive. Also, the chain’s gimmick is to offer future store visit coupons worth so much on your next visit when you buy a certain amount, so I also received $180 of future visit store coupons, that had a limited redemption period. I picked up my order At the store about 5 days later. I used these future visit coupons, too. Then, another 5 days later I get an email saying ‘your order was cancelled because you didn’t pick it up’. I dismissed it as an error As I had picked up and my credit card wasn’t credited. At the time. Fast forward an additional week, and the full refund has hit my credit card. So I have all this product At home and in essence now didn’t pay for it. Do I have to drag it back to the store? I obviously won’t be crooked and file for the rebates. But if I return it all to the store, first it’s a huge hassle, we live 60 miles away Each way from the store. Second Im out the products and the sales prices and rebates I was going to use (Do the math Above...I was practically getting this stuff for free anyways after rebates and coupons, just for the time & hassle) and if I return them I have to find other gifts to give those who were going to receive some of this stuff, so I lose money savings and my time big time. Third, my fear is if I return them, they’ll just want to re charge me and send me home with them...which I don’t want them even if they price match the sales prices because again, I won’t qualify for the Additional, time sensitive, rebates Buying them now. Fourth, if I give all this product back to the store OR I give it as presents or to charities and later the error is discovered on their end, can they re charge my credit card for it (and I would have no product)? THEN the other complication also comes from the store coupons I earned and used. I’m afraid they’re going to charge me for those, as well, if I call their attention to this. I used them not Knowing of the can of worms here, and used them with the mentality of they were saving me money off their current prices which are way inflated already, aka prices I would not have paid had I not had their earned store coupons Reducing the cost and motivating me To buy. In other words I certainly don’t put $180 real value in what I bought with them and it would be very unfair for them to say I owe them $180 for those coupons. I’m in an ethical predicament but also a ‘what’s my consumer rights considering how much time and hassle this has and could cost me by doing the right thing for the business which is to return the products’? Ive debated if donating it all to unrelated charity may just be the most ethical thing. One time this chain sent me the wrong item and told me just to donate it, and sent me a replacement. That was one $40 item though not hundreds.
What state?

anonaone

No. You did pick it up and the charges were good. Contact the store, tell them you did pick it up and have stuff and that the reversal of the charge wrong and you want to pay for the stuff and the credit should be corrected.
My concern with that is it’ll change the invoice/receipt date and disqualify me from the time sensitive rebates. And/or, my original order shows cancelled, and when they type it in at rebate processing center it’ll say ‘this order was cancelled’ again another disqualification. I wouldn’t know that until 2-3 months from now when the rebate issuers notify me the rebates were denied bc either the order shows cancelled or was done now (dec 10, well after the rebate period). Then I have products I in essence overpaid for (I only bought because of the rebate and store coupon Combo) AND are missing their UPC codes, and Thus cannot be returned To the store. And those are just the things I kept...the things I gift for Christmas would be long gone to me.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
My concern with that is it’ll change the invoice/receipt date and disqualify me from the time sensitive rebates.
Then ask them to reverse the credit rather than do a new charge and see how that goes. Also, you have copies of the deal and the date you purchased it, right? At the very least you have the credit card statements showing when the first charge was made as evidence of when you made the purchase.

Just Blue

My concern with that is it’ll change the invoice/receipt date and disqualify me from the time sensitive rebates. And/or, my original order shows cancelled, and when they type it in at rebate processing center it’ll say ‘this order was cancelled’ again another disqualification. I wouldn’t know that until 2-3 months from now when the rebate issuers notify me the rebates were denied bc either the order shows cancelled or was done now (dec 10, well after the rebate period). Then I have products I in essence overpaid for (I only bought because of the rebate and store coupon Combo) AND are missing their UPC codes, and Thus cannot be returned To the store. And those are just the things I kept...the things I gift for Christmas would be long gone to me.
http://kslegislature.org/li_2012/b2011_12/statute/021_000_0000_chapter/021_058_0000_article/021_058_0001_section/021_058_0001_k/

If you keep it you must pay for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">