• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Storing property for someone who won’t come get it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

It seems somewhat reasonable to assume that, if the freezer owner had the ability to take the freezer to the motel, the freezer owner would not have needed someone to store it.

xylene

I also highly doubt that the motel owners would tolerate a big chest freezer in one of their rooms.
That's called problematizing it for the freezer OWNER - which is not dumping something.

Anything else is speculation. I asked the OP specifically to explain why it was not an option.
Op declined to answer as yet. I believe the specific answer to that question should be highly illuminating.

quincy

That's called problematizing it for the freezer OWNER - which is not dumping something.

Anything else is speculation. I asked the OP specifically to explain why it was not an option.
Op declined to answer as yet. I believe the specific answer to that question should be highly illuminating.
It would be nice to have Onlyme123 return with more information - not that the advice on notification of the freezer owner before removal/disposal of the freezer is likely to change.

Dandy Don

If you have a way to contact her, ask her to give you the name of someone else who she could make arrangements with to come pick up the freezer and who is also willing to store it on her behalf.

Ask a city councilor or someone else how you can find out what the legal requirements are in your city about abandoned property, whether you have the right to sell it or dispose of it after a certain amount of time.

You can post a legal notice/small classified ad in the local newspaper that says "Jane Doe needs to come pick up the freezer that is being stored at 1234 Easy Street by (definite date) or it will be considered as abandoned."

quincy

You can post a legal notice/small classified ad in the local newspaper that says "Jane Doe needs to come pick up the freezer that is being stored at 1234 Easy Street by (definite date) or it will be considered as abandoned."
Onlyme123 knows where the freezer owner lives and has been in contact with her. They also (apparently) go to the same church. There appears to be no reason for an ad.
If you have a way to contact her, ask her to give you the name of someone else who she could make arrangements with to come pick up the freezer and who is also willing to store it on her behalf.
She CAN contact the freezer owner because she HAS contacted the freezer owner. And they go to the same church.
Ask a city councilor or someone else how you can find out what the legal requirements are in your city about abandoned property, whether you have the right to sell it or dispose of it after a certain amount of time.
The abandoned property law was already cited. It is NOT abandoned property, however, until a notice has been given to the property owner that the freezer will be considered abandoned if not retrieved by X date (at least 30 days).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">