• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Strata takes 4 building access keys and returns 3 back.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

codster

Our condo uses high-security building access ASSA keys which are non-copyable and only available via Strata. My condo was purchased in 2011 and came with 4 ASSA building access keys. In 2012 Strata did a key survey and asked for the Serial Numbers of all ASSA keys members had. Strata collects refundable deposits for extra/lost ASSA keys, and this is reflected in the Door Key Deposits $3942.00 under the liabilities sections in the Annual Budget. Our Strata is self-run Strata involving only owners.

In Oct 2017 due to multiple break-ins, Strata had to do an emergency re-keying of the building. I exchanged my 4 building ASSA keys, but only 2 keys were being given out per unit at that time. I asked about deposits associated with these keys as shown in the annual budget. She told me they were planning to install a FOB system in Jan, and everything would be sorted out then. I ask that she markdown on the new key sign-up sheet that I handed in 4 ASSA keys, and she did.

The FOB system was delayed, and ended up completing on July 31, 2018. I went to pick up my new Building Access Keys (FOB), and the council member handed me 3 back. I told her I handed in 4 ASSA keys back in Oct 2017. She said everyone gets 3. I asked again about deposits associated with that extra key which came with the condo, and she stated again everyone gets 3. I sent an email to Strata about my 4th key and they said they would let me know. Strata never emailed me back.

Sept 10 Strata asked about emergency contact info, and we asked again about our 4th key. They again said they'll look into it. Sep 26 they replied and said they were not sure why our unit was given 4 building access keys at purchase, and have no record of an extra key for our unit. And they refuse to give a 4th key, or key deposit back for the extra key they took. Negotiations have broken down since then.

To me, I do not understand how Strata can re-key a building. Have a unit hand in 4 physical (noncopyable) building access keys (which they acknowledge), and only give them 3 building access keys back? As said above, these ASSA keys are not copyable and contain serial numbers and extra keys are only purchasable through Strata. A previous owner must have purchased an extra key or lost a key, purchased a new one and found the original. In any case a deposit was made for that extra key at some point. I still have the original serials I marked down for all 4 keys. Strata records are apparently not complete though and they can't check the ASSA serial numbers, I also doubt the $3942 liability for key deposits in the annual budget is fulling accounted for, and they can't see my unit requesting an extra key. Our building is 30 years old and I doubt they have records for all those years.

To me it seems simple. A unit purchases a condo with 4 access keys. The unit hands in 4 access keys, and should get 4 back (or a deposit) during the re-keying. It doesn't matter if Strata has lost records related to the purchase of that extra key, or can't or won't look up the serial number of past keys purchased for the last 30 years. I don't need the extra key, or the money, but I feel Strata is stealing from me. Should I continue to fight this? Can strata legally take away building access keys from units, given they collect deposits for these keys?

Just Blue

Our condo uses high-security building access ASSA keys which are non-copyable and only available via Strata. My condo was purchased in 2011 and came with 4 ASSA building access keys. In 2012 Strata did a key survey and asked for the Serial Numbers of all ASSA keys members had. Strata collects refundable deposits for extra/lost ASSA keys, and this is reflected in the Door Key Deposits $3942.00 under the liabilities sections in the Annual Budget. Our Strata is self-run Strata involving only owners.

In Oct 2017 due to multiple break-ins, Strata had to do an emergency re-keying of the building. I exchanged my 4 building ASSA keys, but only 2 keys were being given out per unit at that time. I asked about deposits associated with these keys as shown in the annual budget. She told me they were planning to install a FOB system in Jan, and everything would be sorted out then. I ask that she markdown on the new key sign-up sheet that I handed in 4 ASSA keys, and she did.

The FOB system was delayed, and ended up completing on July 31, 2018. I went to pick up my new Building Access Keys (FOB), and the council member handed me 3 back. I told her I handed in 4 ASSA keys back in Oct 2017. She said everyone gets 3. I asked again about deposits associated with that extra key which came with the condo, and she stated again everyone gets 3. I sent an email to Strata about my 4th key and they said they would let me know. Strata never emailed me back.

Sept 10 Strata asked about emergency contact info, and we asked again about our 4th key. They again said they'll look into it. Sep 26 they replied and said they were not sure why our unit was given 4 building access keys at purchase, and have no record of an extra key for our unit. And they refuse to give a 4th key, or key deposit back for the extra key they took. Negotiations have broken down since then.

To me, I do not understand how Strata can re-key a building. Have a unit hand in 4 physical (noncopyable) building access keys (which they acknowledge), and only give them 3 building access keys back? As said above, these ASSA keys are not copyable and contain serial numbers and extra keys are only purchasable through Strata. A previous owner must have purchased an extra key or lost a key, purchased a new one and found the original. In any case a deposit was made for that extra key at some point. I still have the original serials I marked down for all 4 keys. Strata records are apparently not complete though and they can't check the ASSA serial numbers, I also doubt the $3942 liability for key deposits in the annual budget is fulling accounted for, and they can't see my unit requesting an extra key. Our building is 30 years old and I doubt they have records for all those years.

To me it seems simple. A unit purchases a condo with 4 access keys. The unit hands in 4 access keys, and should get 4 back (or a deposit) during the re-keying. It doesn't matter if Strata has lost records related to the purchase of that extra key, or can't or won't look up the serial number of past keys purchased for the last 30 years. I don't need the extra key, or the money, but I feel Strata is stealing from me. Should I continue to fight this? Can strata legally take away building access keys from units, given they collect deposits for these keys?
What US State Is this in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">