• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Streaming Video/Video on Demand Company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marty_z

What is the name of your state? This would apply to continental US and Canada.

Hello,
I am starting an online company and would like to get some advice in regards to distribution/content and copyrights. I want to be able to place movies of certain ethnic origin and have users to view them in stream video/video on demand format. Do I need any type of formal consent from a distribution company to do that? I will not be selling videos online. I will be providing a pay per movie service or a membership type site. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is not an adult type website.

BelizeBreeze

marty_z said:
What is the name of your state? This would apply to continental US and Canada.

Hello,
I am starting an online company and would like to get some advice in regards to distribution/content and copyrights. I want to be able to place movies of certain ethnic origin and have users to view them in stream video/video on demand format. Do I need any type of formal consent from a distribution company to do that? I will not be selling videos online. I will be providing a pay per movie service or a membership type site. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is not an adult type website.
Of course you do. It's called a performance license.

marty_z

BelizeBreeze said:
Of course you do. It's called a performance license.
Hello BelizeBreeze,

I read somewhere that performance licence only applies when you do not charge for the movie/show. (eg. a library will need a license). If I really need one, who do I then get the license from? If the films are made in USA then translated into another language, do I get the license from an overseas distribution company or some other entity in USA.

Thank you,

divgradcurl

I read somewhere that performance licence only applies when you do not charge for the movie/show. (eg. a library will need a license).
That doesn't make any sense at all. What "license" does a library need, and for what?

If I really need one, who do I then get the license from? If the films are made in USA then translated into another language, do I get the license from an overseas distribution company or some other entity in USA.
You would get a license from whoever owns the copyright to the work. For translated US films, it could get complicated, because the copyright to the film may be owned by a US company, but the copyright to the translated film may be owned by another company, and that second comanpy may not have the right to give you rights to the film. Start with the maker of the film, and work from there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">