• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Structured Settlement Co won't issue Discontinuance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FrankHDEZ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
I actually don't know where to start. I don't want to give the name of the company that I was originally using to represent me, as I keep on getting harassed by them. I signed up with a Structured Settlement Company back in August of 2014. No decisions had been made by the judge. I was tired of no one, from the company that I originally signed up with, willing to answer any questions as to why my case was taking so long...poor customer service...so I decided to withdraw my request, I did so by writing a letter, got it notarized and took it to the courts. In the meantime, I signed up with different structured settlement company that has been very helpful. But now I am being told that even though I withdrew my request to the courts, that the original company I dealt with has to submit a 'letter of discontinuance' to the courts as well. I have been trying to get them to do this for me so that I can continue my business with the new company I signed on with, they are not answering my calls nor returning them. Yet if I am not able to answer my phone, they will leave messages towards harrassment. It almost seems as if they purposely not submitting the 'letter of discontinuance' so that I don't take my business to someone else. I don't know what to do or if I should file a complaint with the judge that was assigned to my case to begin with would help any. Don't know what to do. Please help.:mad:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
I actually don't know where to start. I don't want to give the name of the company that I was originally using to represent me, as I keep on getting harassed by them. I signed up with a Structured Settlement Company back in August of 2014. No decisions had been made by the judge. I was tired of no one, from the company that I originally signed up with, willing to answer any questions as to why my case was taking so long...poor customer service...so I decided to withdraw my request, I did so by writing a letter, got it notarized and took it to the courts. In the meantime, I signed up with different structured settlement company that has been very helpful. But now I am being told that even though I withdrew my request to the courts, that the original company I dealt with has to submit a 'letter of discontinuance' to the courts as well. I have been trying to get them to do this for me so that I can continue my business with the new company I signed on with, they are not answering my calls nor returning them. Yet if I am not able to answer my phone, they will leave messages towards harrassment. It almost seems as if they purposely not submitting the 'letter of discontinuance' so that I don't take my business to someone else. I don't know what to do or if I should file a complaint with the judge that was assigned to my case to begin with would help any. Don't know what to do. Please help.:mad:
Does your contract with the first company allow you to do this without penalty?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">