• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Structured Settlement Payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dis1991

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
I was involved in a work related accident that involved an automobile,the claim was settled which involves a structured settlement. In the settlement, documents the Insurance company provided, a Direction of Payment Form. which was filled out. The direction of payment indicated that these future checks were to be made payable in my name only,the insurance company followed the direction of payment instructions, for three years.( checks were payable to me in my name) Now the Insurance company refuses to abide by the direction of payment and placed my name along with my ex-wifes name on it. Her and I have not been together for five years now.What can I do about this.This would have to be talked over for a clearer understanding.

Dis1991

Structured Settlements Payments

Dis1991 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
I was involved in a work related accident that involved an automobile,the claim was settled which involves a structured settlement. In the settlement, documents the Insurance company provided, a Direction of Payment Form. which was filled out. The direction of payment indicated that these future checks were to be made payable in my name only,the insurance company followed the direction of payment instructions, for three years.( checks were payable to me in my name) Now the Insurance company refuses to abide by the direction of payment and placed my name along with my ex-wifes name on it. Her and I have not been together for five years now.What can I do about this.This would have to be talked over for a clearer understanding.
The Insurance carrier claimed that there was a clerical error, but he did not elaborate. However, he went on to say that at the beginning of the process back in 1991 the Release Agreement was signed by myself and at that time, my wife. Also at that time she signed the direction of payment form which indicated how the remaining funds were to be distributed and made payable. Again that document laid out the instructions of who was the receipient (payee). In the following years 1995, 1996, and 1997 the Insurance carrier, carried out those instructions and made the future checks made payable to me and in my name only as directed. Now they do not want to abide by that agreement saying that the direction of payment form was just a work up sheet but, they sent me numerous direction of payment forms with the ex-wifes name included as payee.

Dandy Don

Why was your ex-wife even involved in this matter to begin with?

Would there be a problem with getting her to co-sign the check so you could cash it?

Why not ask HER to contact or write the insurance company a certified letter specifying that the checks only name you as payee?

If you get no satisfaction, consider filing a complaint with your state insurance commissioner so he can investigate. I wonder if you are being given full disclosure by the insurance company as to their reasons for doing this.

Are these funds mentioned in your divorce papers or is she due part of this money through the divorce?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Dis1991

Structured Settlements

Pennsylvania.
This accident happened back in 1991. We were married at that time, the attorney explained that her signature was required on the release agreement so that she could not lay a future claim to any part of the settlement. However, the direction of payment form that was provided by the Insurance carrier, directing the carrier to deliver the future payments in my name only. They did follow through on those instructions from 1995 to 1997, those three future payments were made out in my name only (as instructed ). She (my wife ) at the time also signed that document agreeing with the future payment instructions. I do not understand any of this either. all I know is that she had signed the direction of payment form agreeing to the instructions. I also, beleive that when she signed the direction of payment form she had given up any claim on any future payments regardless whether she signed the release agreement or not.

Dis1991

Structured Settlement

Divorce in progress,even though there has been no progress in the movement of the process. Separated for the past five years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">