• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

student loan: bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dialectic

washington

Hi,

Im 39 year old single and broke male

Im I graduated in 99 BA:psych and 30k in debts

But i couldnt get a job due to a criminal record

I got it expunged and its clear since sept 2004

But it hasnt helped.

I have taken many programs to help me find work but nothing is helping

Last year i made 2700 bucks total

Now, to my problems I dont have any income or job to pay my loans off Im getting help from family members.

So im wondering if my next step is bankruptcy? Will my loans be discharged ?

kopes

It is nearly impossible to get student loans discharged. You would basically have to prove that you will NEVER be able to make any money. You can probably get them deferred while you are unemployed but they will not be discharged in a BK.

dialectic

re

so what is my next step

Should i just leave the country and teach esl and let them go statue barred ? or try to pay them when i work for minimum wage again--i dont think i will ever be able to reduce the principle

zippysgoddess

If they are federal or state student loans such as PHEAA or PELL, you might be able to get a consolidation with an income contingent repayment plan. You would need to call the agency(ies) and request the proper forms.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">