• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Student loan collection question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wogman56

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

Five years ago, my mother (co-signer on my student loan) filed for bankruptcy to clear several of her debts (credit cards, old utility bills, and my student loan) that we were unable to pay. Last week she received a letter in the mail from a debt collection agency stating that we still owed for the student loan. On the letter it states that unless we respond within 30 days they will assume the debt is valid. Where should I go next? Send them the bankruptcy paperwork? Hire a debt collection attorney to fight them? HELP! I thought this was behind us as I haven't heard anything in 5 years and now it came up out of the blue and the last thing I want is my bank account frozen or wages garnished. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

Five years ago, my mother (co-signer on my student loan) filed for bankruptcy to clear several of her debts (credit cards, old utility bills, and my student loan) that we were unable to pay. Last week she received a letter in the mail from a debt collection agency stating that we still owed for the student loan. On the letter it states that unless we respond within 30 days they will assume the debt is valid. Where should I go next? Send them the bankruptcy paperwork? Hire a debt collection attorney to fight them? HELP! I thought this was behind us as I haven't heard anything in 5 years and now it came up out of the blue and the last thing I want is my bank account frozen or wages garnished. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Student loans aren't (generally) dischargeable in bankruptcy. She should contact the bankruptcy attorney that she used.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">