• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Student Loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Riwane

Hawaii
I got a letter telling me that I owed 3800.00 on a student loan. I called them and said that the DOE Discharged the loan 8 months ago. they said this was another part of the loan. this was the first time I knew anything about it. this was since 1989 does the statute of limitations apply here?

Thank you,

Ladynred

Not usually, not on student loans.. they go on forever.

However, telling you its a 'different part of the loan' sounds pretty vague. Write then and ask for a full accounting of what they are trying to collect and an explanation. This could be a scam, if they don't provide adequate paperwork to prove that you owe some part of a student loan, I'd be extremely careful. If you have any paperwork from the original loan, you might try calling the DOE and ask about this mysterious 'different part'.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">