• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Student Loans - Active Wage Garnishment (Need Advice)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tbc518

Hello All,

Hoping this is the right place to get some opinions and advisement. Recently attempted to finish up college since my job offers some help with tuition. After applying for Federal Aid I was sent a letter from the college saying I was ineligible for Federal Aid because I have loans in default (which is not news to me). I was given a piece of paper that showed 11 loans, totaling $32,899 of “outstanding priciniple balance”.

As I have been having wages garnished since 2016, I decided to “see where I’m at with all of this” and dive in.

According to studentloans.gov my “total educational indebtedness” is $42,451, across 11 loans. Navigating under “Repay my Loans” I am presented with different consolidation plans such as: Income Based, Pay As You Earn, Standard etc with varying durations from 120 months to 300 with an interest rate of 5.625%

Here’s my problem / concern:

I logged into my ADP app (jobs pay portal) to add up “YTD garnishments” for 2016, 2017, 2018:
2016 : $2,212.38
2017 : $ $4,175.75
2018 (YTD) : $3,212.01
So a total of $9,600.14 garnished since 2016.

ADP only reports one garnishment being active thorough department of education and it says my goal is $56,478 remaining $53,265.99 with a “total paid towards lein of $2,212.38 (total of my 2018 YTD garnishment)

So I say to myself “wait a minute $32K was principle , studentloans.gov says I owe $42K, my total garnishment is $56K ... but I’ve had almost $10,000 garnished over the past three years”

After investigating the garnishment under “deductions” I can see every date a deduction was made and how much. Here’s where I started to worry:

Example:
Due date: 05-16-2017 deduction of $63.14
Agency Fees: blank
Method : Check

Due date: 07-25-2017 deduction of $231.44

So I scroll to my deductions further ahead and everything up until October is “payment pending to be issued”

I see other examples like :
Due date: 04-03-2018 deduction of $301.71

So I immediately was like “ohhh my god” the way I’m interpreting this information from ADP is that deductions have DEFINITELY come out but it’s making it seem like tons of my deductions haven’t been given or paid to the garnisher, right ? Has there even been a case where somebodies wages are garnished but it’s not being paid to the garnisher or it’s lost in some black hole?

Based on the information above my questions are:

Who should I call first regarding deductions showing as “Payment pending to be issued” my jobs HR department ?

How should I best find out what I REALLY OWE (since I have different numbers)? My credit report? Debt Collection Agency? It’s obvious the principal before default was $32K

Where can I find / who to call to get some documentation that would show me the numbers of how my principle of $32K ballooned and see some record of my garnishments posting against this ? The Debt Collection agencies web portal?

I’d appreciate ANY advisement or comment, THANK YOU.

paddywakk

What state are you in? Many states have student loan ombudsmen, who can help you figure it out. Google for your state

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">