• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Student loans and Disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? CT

I graduated from college in 2001. Two years alter, a condition I had (that at school wasn't bad) got a lot worse--to the point that the doctor told me I could no longer work. It's hard to tell what causes more problems--the condtion itself or the medications that I have to take for it.

Anyway, I got a loan discharge form and the doctor filled it out--plus he wrote a letter that the condition had gotten a lot, lot worse and that I just could not work anymore---in any capacity. He explained that that condition and the medications were both to blame. I everything to the loan holder and they have sent it on to the guarentor of the loans.

What happenens now? Will I have any more problems with these loans--and what is the porcedure that follows (I heard that it goes to the Education Department.)

I hated to have to go this route, but am on SSD and just cannot work anymore. Thanks.


Senior Member
Well what happens next all depends on whether or not they accept the discharge of the loan, before they do, they may require you to see another doc for testing (at their expense) to back up your claim. If they approve, yes, you are in the clear, in a 3 year waiting period. If in that 3 years, your condition does not change, enabling you to work, or return to school, then the loans will be discharged permanently. However, during all of this, you will not ever be eligible for student loans again, that is part of what you have to sign on your portion of the discharge application.

The loans are written off in the end as forgiven due to extenuating circumstances, and the will no longer try to collect on them, or report the outstanding debt to the credit bureaus!

LOL! Can you tell I am currently going through the same stuff?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential