• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

student loans

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drog

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

If I will be self-employed, is there a way for my business to pay off my students loans in a way that I will not be taxed on this benefit?

davew128

If you are self employed, it is not a business deduction and there is no distinction between you and the business to begin with.

drog

Let me re-phrase the question. If I am employed by a corporation that I own, can the corporation pay off my student loans in a way that I will not be taxed?

LdiJ

Let me re-phrase the question. If I am employed by a corporation that I own, can the corporation pay off my student loans in a way that I will not be taxed?
It could be possible for a corporation to pay off your student loans...and I want to emphasize the word "could"...because by no means would it be guaranteed or a simple situation.

I would say that any student loans that you incurred prior to forming the corporation could NOT be paid by the corporation to give you a tax deduction on the principle (you would personally get a tax deduction on the interest anyway). However under very specific circumstances it might be possible for the corporation to be able to deduct the cost of tuition for education taken on after the corporation was formed.

There are corporations, in rare circumstances, that will pay off their employees student loans. However the tax implications in those instances are very individual and case specific, and would be unlikely to apply to a corporation that was solely owned by the taxpayer who incurred the student loans.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">