• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stupid city sign laws Navigation.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

neofrey

Utah code link: goo.gl/QGCeDP Page 30 for enforcement Zone C1

For 4 years this is not been a problem but than some city official got a stick up his but and is enforcing an ordinance on the books. I have 4 ways to deal with it. 1) talk the the planning board which will lead nowhere. 2) Talk to the city council: this is most likely just be moved to the planning board. 3) find a loophole or workaround. 4) your suggestion

The mayor is on my side because this effects him too as his business is in the same zone as mine. so I will be going the city council route. However, We just kicked off the busy season of my seasonal business so waiting for the process to get resolved will take too long. So I'm planning on going two routes. And that is ignore the ordinance.

I have 2 flag banners that I set up and take down each day. In the beautification section right in front of my store which is in the C1 District and have done it for 4 years. (They seem to have made sure they can put there election signs up though in this area.) The tree's they planted block my actual signs completely. It is my store front, a sidewalk, a small beautification area then street parking. I dont think it matters if it is my property or not as I'm pretty sure it is an easement as the city maintains the beautification area.

Long term plan is city council and if they are not allowed to put up there signs in the beatification area that would hasten it. From my reading it may or may not. short term plan just leave them up. IF I leave them up I consider 3 possible and hypothetical outcomes based on the ordinance. 1) a certified letter previous notice was via phone which I can appeal and leave my signs up in the mean time until the appeal is rejected and then take them down. 2) a ticket for a class b misdemeanor which with no letter means I'd win in court. 3) he just takes down the sign and charges me which would be theft of property since he didn't give me notice.

What some of the possible consequences and scenarios that could play out.

goo.gl/QGCeDP Page 30 for enforcement Zone C1

TLDR I'd like to know how this law works and the enforcement of it for having a flag banner in front of my store. as a bonus would love it if temporary vote for me signs are not allowed in the beatification areas.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Utah code link: goo.gl/QGCeDP Page 30 for enforcement Zone C1

For 4 years this is not been a problem but than some city official got a stick up his but and is enforcing an ordinance on the books. I have 4 ways to deal with it. 1) talk the the planning board which will lead nowhere. 2) Talk to the city council: this is most likely just be moved to the planning board. 3) find a loophole or workaround. 4) your suggestion

The mayor is on my side because this effects him too as his business is in the same zone as mine. so I will be going the city council route. However, We just kicked off the busy season of my seasonal business so waiting for the process to get resolved will take too long. So I'm planning on going two routes. And that is ignore the ordinance.

I have 2 flag banners that I set up and take down each day. In the beautification section right in front of my store which is in the C1 District and have done it for 4 years. (They seem to have made sure they can put there election signs up though in this area.) The tree's they planted block my actual signs completely. It is my store front, a sidewalk, a small beautification area then street parking. I dont think it matters if it is my property or not as I'm pretty sure it is an easement as the city maintains the beautification area.

Long term plan is city council and if they are not allowed to put up there signs in the beatification area that would hasten it. From my reading it may or may not. short term plan just leave them up. IF I leave them up I consider 3 possible and hypothetical outcomes based on the ordinance. 1) a certified letter previous notice was via phone which I can appeal and leave my signs up in the mean time until the appeal is rejected and then take them down. 2) a ticket for a class b misdemeanor which with no letter means I'd win in court. 3) he just takes down the sign and charges me which would be theft of property since he didn't give me notice.

What some of the possible consequences and scenarios that could play out.

goo.gl/QGCeDP Page 30 for enforcement Zone C1

TLDR I'd like to know how this law works and the enforcement of it for having a flag banner in front of my store. as a bonus would love it if temporary vote for me signs are not allowed in the beatification areas.
The ordinance is pretty clear.

As for the election signs - that's a totally different animal and has nothing to do with what you are dealing with.

quincy

If your banners are used to advertise a special store sale only, you can try to get a permit for temporary use of the banners. Otherwise, you will have to take it up with the city council.

The sign law sounds like a good one to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">