• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stupid Kid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The Occultist

What is the name of your state? Arizona.

One of the kids that works for me is having a problem. "Mike" is 17, and was dating, and engaged in sexual relations with, a girl that was 15, at least, him, all his friends, his parents, and myself all thought she was 15 because that's what she said, and actually looked old enough that she could have been driving. When a couple investigators showed up in the workplace to question Mike, that is when we found out the girl was actually 13.
From what I understand from what I've read and heard, he can be charged as an adult for this. Now, I know simple sexual conduct with a minor constitutes a class 6 felony, while child molestation (which this is because of her age) is a class 2 felony, which could potentially give him 20 years in prison.
Now, I also understand that if the minor is between the ages of 15-17 that it is up to the parents to press charges. Since she is 13 though, does this mean the state can press charges regardless of what the parents want? I'm not saying they don't want to press charges because they are the ones who called the police in the first place, but I don't think they were yet aware that she had lied about her age. Also, there has apparently been another guy who got into trouble with the same situation of her lying about her age, but I have been unable to find any details of that situation so I don't know his outcome.
If charges are pressed against Mike, I was wondering if he could perhaps do some sort of plea bargain and plead guilty to the lesser charge of sexual conduct with a minor (since that was the only crime he was committing as far as he knew).
For somebody with a clean record, what are likely punishments for both the class 2 felony molestation and class 6 felony sexual conduct with a minor? Also, how feasible is my suggestion for that plea bargain? If the parents decide they don't want to press charges, could the state press charges anyways because of her age? Am I mistaken in any portion of my post? I want to help this guy out because he is a good kid and this slut of a girl had us all fooled. Thanks for any help you can give.

rmet4nzkx

Gee, if he was engaged, you would have thought that both he and his parents would have met her parents? If they were in school together he should have known her age, her grade is a clue. As much as our boys hated it, we insisted on communications with the parents of all their friends, male and female alike, it puts a big kabosch on such stories. Mike needs an attorney, a criminal defense, ASAP.

The Occultist

I think you misread my post. I didn't say they were engaged to be married, I said they engaged in sexual relations. I wasn't saying anything about marriage, I was saying they were having sex with each other.
Also, in my work place we have five highschools represented in my staff, which shows how many high schools are in this area. So, it wouldn't be farfetched for the girl to lie about which highschool she was going to (though do note she just finished jr. high, which means she's an incoming freshman pretending to be an incoming junior).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">