• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sub-lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gel

From California: Have a one year lease. Tenant asked to leave, and found someone to sign a lease assignment. New tenant has not paid rent for 3 months and when it came to trial, she filed bankruptcy. While I wait to see if trustee will separate lodging from money, do I have legal recourse to go after the original tenant. It is not a sub-lease, but a lease assignment and I have been told that they are not the same and that the first tenant is free and clear.

Any thoughts??

Glenn.

D

dj1

A tough situation........here in New York City, you start eviction proceedings very early, so that you never wind up with someone owing 3 months..

And when a tenant wants to leave early LET THEM!!!!!

You have their security and they are liable for the rent and your expenses untill you re-rent or the lease ends...

You accepted the assignment, YOU are stuck with the bankrupt tenant.

Guess you wont do that again......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">