• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subcontractor information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SueL

I am a medical transcriptionist currently living in NH. In January of this year I filed a civil suit against the woman that I was subcontracting work from. This woman has filed business bankruptcy and personal bankruptcy (neither of which I was included in as a debt which she wished to discharge). She owes me $7800. When appearing in court in January I was forced to negotiate with her, because she had informed the court that she was no longer in business and had no source of income. I was forced to settle for $4000 or lose the suit entirely. We made arrangements for her to pay $100 every other week. Not a single payment was on time. Furthermore, we have received no payment since May 2nd. She is now in contempt of court. Today, was the contempt hearing. My lawyer never showed up. She stood there and cried for the judge and I now have a continuance for the 19th of this month. I would like to know how I can get the court to take me seriously and listen to my story. I have spent an extensive amount of time checking this woman's story. As of 11 a.m. this morning she is employed and has been employed, and conducting business with numerous accounts in excess of 18 months. She has billed one account in excess of $40,000 in the first five months of this year alone. I have names and phone numbers of the individuals contacted confirming her employment. Because these are health care providers they will not give me any information in writing without a subpoena, which I fully understand. My lawyer informed me that in civil matters there is no way to obtain a subpoena. He also said that this is considered a "victimless crime." I feel that I am a victim along with the other subcontractors that she has done this to.
This woman has only paid me $600, of which $525 was eaten-up by my lawyer's fee. What can I do before next Tuesday to rectify any of this and recoup my losses?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">