• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subcontractor problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

statefan

What is the name of your state? Tennessee
My husband owns his own business and travels throughout the country to subcontract his services along with others, to various body shops, to do certain types of autobody repair. Recently, my husband was contacted by a person he has worked with for years and asked to come to a body shop in Indiana. My husband was only there for 1.5 weeks and had to leaves due to prior commitments. Nevertheless, the owner of this body shop is not paying either my husband, his friend, and another person. I know he owes my husband and his friend at least $25,000.
The process is simple, they do the repairs, the body shop is paid by the insurance company/car owner, then the body shop pays the subcontractor. We are aware the body shop has been paid on the cars which have been repaired.
Legally, could the subcontractors repossess the cars that were repaired to force the body shop owners hand? Or should the district attorney be contacted and be made aware of the situation? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated at this time!
Thanks

seniorjudge

statefan said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee
My husband owns his own business and travels throughout the country to subcontract his services along with others, to various body shops, to do certain types of autobody repair. Recently, my husband was contacted by a person he has worked with for years and asked to come to a body shop in Indiana. My husband was only there for 1.5 weeks and had to leaves due to prior commitments. Nevertheless, the owner of this body shop is not paying either my husband, his friend, and another person. I know he owes my husband and his friend at least $25,000.
The process is simple, they do the repairs, the body shop is paid by the insurance company/car owner, then the body shop pays the subcontractor. We are aware the body shop has been paid on the cars which have been repaired.
Legally, could the subcontractors repossess the cars that were repaired to force the body shop owners hand? Or should the district attorney be contacted and be made aware of the situation? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated at this time!
Thanks

The prosecutor will not be interested in this. It is strictly a civil matter. You will have to sue the bad guy and get a judgment against him and hope he has the assets to pay the judgment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">