• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subdivision of Acreage with Residence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Washington

My personal residence is located on a 5-acre parcel of land. A developer is proposing an 8-lot subdivision of this parcel, one large lot of which would accommodate my existing residence. The developer would finance the development out-of-pocket; I would not relinquish title to my residence. In fact, I would continue to occupy my residence during and after development of the land.

I assume that the land associated with the other 7 lots (that portion of my land to be purchased from me by the developer) would be treated as land held for investment and would thereby qualify for 1031 treatment; is my assumption correct?

Is this a straightforward situation, or do I have to ensure that the "Vacant Land Purchase and Sale Agreement" is properly structured with respect to a 1031 exchange?

Would it make any difference if I were to subdivide the property myself?



Senior Member
Get a tax lawyer to help you set up the 1031 exchange. It's too complicated for a lay person to handle on their own. Why not sell your residence too? Then you could exclude the first $250,000 of gain ($500,000 if married filing joint). Is keeping your current home really worth paying the taxes (15%) on all the money you get from the developer?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential