• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sublease-Lease Liability Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kdzb

This is sort of a long story. My husband and I live in an apartment complex. We had a lease that ran August to August, but in December of last year we were told that if we wanted to be sure and keep the apartment that we were in (and save $100 or so) for the next lease year, we had to sign another lease extending our stay to August of 01. We did so after talking to the management and deciding that we would be switched to an apartment that allows dogs (some buildings do, ours didn't).

The next month we changed our lease and initialed by the changes putting us in the dog apartment. In July of last year we were all packed up and ready to move. We were excited after management told us that the apartment had been totally remodeled, brand new countertops and it was the nicest apartment in the complex. We went in the day before we were set to move and not only were none of the previous statements true, it was infested with fleas. Well after some haggling with management(they said they had already rented out our apartment so we had to move into the flea one!) we were allowed to stay in the original apartment. My husband initialed by those changes but I did not.

Anyways, we have had many other problems with the complex. We just bought a condo and have been trying to sublease the apartment. Management told us that we had to find someone to rent our apartment and that the only way they would let us out of liability (even if we did find a subleaser) was if the person signed a one year lease. We found a subleaser who lives in the same complex - she wants to transfer her security deposit and parental guarentee and they said that was fine. And even though they are giving us back our security deposit they say that we are responsible for rent if our subleaser leaves or the damages of her hurting our apartment.

Do we have any options? I feel management has been negligent a number of times, lies frequently and changes their story - but it's our word against theirs. I don't want to pay rent and a mortgage or be responsible for someone else's actions. I know that we signed a lease - but is there ANY way to get out of it?? Thanks for responding!!

HomeGuru

1) they told you it was a dog apartment and it was true.

2) you can not get out of the sublease liability unless you sue for breach of contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">