• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subordinated Convertible Promissory Note

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michaelpetona

What is the name of your state? Delaware incorporated company

Hi , I have invested cash in a CA based startup . During my investment they provided only "Subordinated Convertible Promissory Note" and mentioned "a Qualified Financing occurs on or prior to the Maturity Date, then the outstanding principal amount of this Note and all accrued and unpaid interest on this Note shall automatically convert into fully paid and nonassessable shares of the preferred stock issued in such Qualified Financing at the Conversion Price."

And maturity date is defined as FOR VALUE RECEIVED, <Company>, a Delaware corporation (the “Company”) promises to pay to <Investor> , or its registered assigns (“Investor”), in lawful money of the United States of America the principal sum of <Amount> , or such lesser amount as shall equal the outstanding principal amount hereof, together with interest from the date of this Subordinated Convertible Promissory Note (this “Note”) on the unpaid principal balance at a rate equal to 3% per annum, computed on the basis of the actual number of days elapsed and a year of 365 days. All unpaid principal, together with any then unpaid and accrued interest and other amounts payable hereunder, shall be due and payable on the earlier of (i) eighteen (18) months after the issuance of this Note (the “Maturity Date”), or (ii) when, upon the occurrence and during the continuance of an Event of Default, such amounts are declared due and payable by Investor or made automatically due and payable, in each case, in accordance with the terms hereof. This Note is one of the “Notes” issued pursuant to the Purchase Agreement.

Its been 2 years I invested and since qualified financing round hasn't happened I have not received ant preffered stock. Based on above prara can I ask for the money back with interest or at current valuation ?

Also the company seems to be raising more money in this form at higher valuations, but as an existing investor, I am not in those communications and even yearly account statements or General meeting is not called for. Are then any mandatory rights for Convertible promissory Note holders where company has to fulfill ?

Regards
Michael

adjusterjack

Based on above prara can I ask for the money back with interest or at current valuation ?
Sure, you can ask. Why don't you go ahead and ask and then come back to this thread with the response.

Frankly, if you're asking questions about your money two years later, then you shouldn't have gotten into this deal in the first place.

I really have no clue as to whether or not you threw your money down the toilet.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
. All unpaid principal, together with any then unpaid and accrued interest and other amounts payable hereunder, shall be due and payable on the earlier of (i) eighteen (18) months after the issuance of this Note (the “Maturity Date”), or (ii) when, upon the occurrence and during the continuance of an Event of Default, such amounts are declared due and payable by Investor or made automatically due and payable, in each case, in accordance with the terms hereof. This Note is one of the “Notes” issued pursuant to the Purchase Agreement.
It was due and payble after 18 months according to the terms of the agreement you provided. I have not read the entire agreement so I cannot say if something else might bump that back. Assuming it was indeed due at 18 months, it may still be the case that you have to present your note and make the demand for payment to get your money. Until you do that, the company may simply assume you want to hold the note to earn more interest.

michaelpetona

It was due and payble after 18 months according to the terms of the agreement you provided. I have not read the entire agreement so I cannot say if something else might bump that back. Assuming it was indeed due at 18 months, it may still be the case that you have to present your note and make the demand for payment to get your money. Until you do that, the company may simply assume you want to hold the note to earn more interest.
Thank you Taxing Matters for the clarification. I have sent email reminder to the CEO of the company with the agreement copy to return the money. But no response. I stay outside of USA. So what should I do next ?

michaelpetona

I would suggest you use another method of delivery of the demand. The mail or FedEx but in any case in some method that you can show delivery.
I am looking for a lawyer in US to send notice on my behalf as I stay outside US. Any lawyer in this group who can help me with reasonable rates will be welcome..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">