• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subpoena from PA but I live in FL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hlwillis90

Long story short, while visiting my fiancée family in Pennsylvania back in July there was an incident with his sister. She struck her 14 year old daughter and attempted/threatened to kill her. Troopers were called by us and my fiancée sister had to be arrested/detoxed at the hospital. We went to the courthouse the next day, which resulted in her kids being taken from her.

A few weeks ago my fiancée and I received letters in the mail. We each received a subpoena form and a summary trial notice form regarding “Commonwealth of Pennsylvania v. (My fiancée sisters name, that they misspelled)”.

We live in the state of Florida though and cannot fly to Pennsylvania. We have called the court house and they told us to contact the state trooper that requested we appear. We have attempted calling him 7 times and have left a message for him to call us back each time. He won’t return either of our calls and the court date is in 2 weeks.

Does Pennsylvania have jurisdiction to enforce us to appear or is there some way we can legally not go? We can’t afford to fly up there and/or miss work for this.

Thank you for your time! Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Call the district attorney (DA) who is prosecuting the case. The subponea would have been sought/issued by the DA. If you do not appear as required by the subpoena the DA the DA could seek a warrant for your arrest. If that warrant gets entered into the national database and you encounter police (like a traffic stop, or whatever) you may find yourself arrested and held until the DA decides whether to come and get you on the warrant. The DA might be authorized to pay for travel expenses on the subpoena if he/she really wants you there. But in any event if you don't show up, there is some risk of problems for you later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">