• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subscription I Didn't Know About... HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

I have had quite a bit of success challenging charges like that with my bank.
Charge cards, yes. Debit cards, not so easy.

With credit cards, the cardholder can be held liable for up to $50 at most for unauthorized charges. With debit cards, the protection comes from the Electronic Funds Transfer Act and the cardholder can be held liable for up to $500.

But it is certainly worth a try.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Charge cards, yes. Debit cards, not so easy.

With credit cards, the cardholder can be held liable for up to $50 at most for unauthorized charges. With debit cards, the protection comes from the Electronic Funds Transfer Act and the cardholder can be held liable for up to $500.

But it is certainly worth a try.
I am specifically speaking about debit cards. I have a had a great deal of success challenging unauthorized charges. Yes, it goes along with the inconvenience of having to cancel the debit card and have it reissued each time, but nevertheless I have always succeeded in challenging whatever I wanted to challenge.

The kind of thing that has happened to the OP is exactly the sort of thing I have been able to successfully challenge.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am specifically speaking about debit cards. I have a had a great deal of success challenging unauthorized charges. Yes, it goes along with the inconvenience of having to cancel the debit card and have it reissued each time, but nevertheless I have always succeeded in challenging whatever I wanted to challenge.

The kind of thing that has happened to the OP is exactly the sort of thing I have been able to successfully challenge.
What about charges that WERE authorized?

quincy

My point is that he likely did order it.
That's definitely a possibility.

If that is the case, Eagle20 is probably stuck with a coupon book with coupons for places he will never go - or a refund minus shipping charges.

PayrollHRGuy

That has not been our company's experience with the BBB at all. They have always found in our favor and removed any uncalled for accusations. Of course that may be because we deal with our customers appropriately.
Is your company a member?

quincy

Is your company a member?
BBB has been sued before over their grading system which has reflected, not consumer opinion of a business or consumer complaints about a business but whether the business is a paid member of the BBB.

Essentially, businesses have needed to pay to be rated "A" and can have an A rating even if there are a number of unresolved consumer complaints filed against the business.

The BBB has been successful in the suits filed against them using various defenses, including anti-SLAPP responses.

We had a thread on the BBB in the defamation section of the forum a few years ago.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">