• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subscription Service Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nwlce

What is the name of your state? TX

So I signed up for a subscription service and it's billed monthly. The terms and conditions say they reserve the right to change the agreement, etc. And that they've done. And I was fine with it up until recently. So what ended up happening is that I had finally had enough of the constantly changing terms and conditions and cancelled. The following day, they had released yet another new set of terms and conditions and to be able to use the service I had already paid for, they basically made me opt in (there was literally no way around it outside of not using the service I had already paid a month for). Fast forward to today, I get an email saying that when I opted in, that overrode the cancellation request and they're about to bill me for yet another month. This can't be legal and I'm not even suggesting a lawsuit but is there an agency outside of the BBB that this can be reported to?

quincy

You will have to read over the contracts in their entirety. It appears you erred by continuing to use the service after you cancelled. You should instead have asked for a partial refund.

nwlce

Thank you for your quick response. Just to add more color. The service in question is MoviePass and the way it works, you have to check in before you can purchase a ticket thru their app. When I launched the app a banner came over the screen saying that I had to agree to the new terms and conditions to continue to use the service. The issue is that when I cancelled the day prior, they said I had basically prepaid thru the end of August so I was using it since I had already paid for it. By not allowing me to bypass that opt-in, they're basically forcing me into opting-in to use what I already paid for and now they're trying to say that they're recanting my cancellation because I opted in. It seems that a minimum it should be something to pass over to the BBB and maybe the Consumer Protection Agency just because there should be a way for me to enjoy what I already paid for without agreeing to extend my subscription further. For the record I re-cancelled today.

quincy

You could file a complaint with the consumer protection division in your state. If the service subscription receives enough complaints from consumers, the State might take action.

You can file a complaint with the BBB and the BBB will notify the subscription service of your complaint and ask that it be resolved. The subscription service may care about a BBB complaint and try to resolve your issue ... but a BBB complaint is often not very effective.

You are probably better off contacting corporate headquarters and lodging a complaint.

I think it would have been smarter for you to call MoviePass as soon as you discovered the problem rather than clicking on an "I agree" contract, extending your subscription.

Good luck.

quincy

There are problems surfacing with MoviePass subscriptions that MoviePass is aware of and is trying to fix. A lot of the problems can be traced to its unexpected rapid growth.

But, yes, there are a large number of customer complaints.

nwlce

Thanks everyone I ended up filling a complaint with the Attorney General's office. @Zigner its upsetting because you try to cancel and they find loopholes to bring you back in and before you know it you're being charged for something you thought you cancelled months ago but its the way they implemented the ToS change popup that forces you into being charged again as you can't clear it or deny it and if you don't accept it you simply can't access any other part of the app (nor your service). To be honest, I had no problems with peak pricing - I can wait to see a movie a week or two -- I had a little issue with the pictures of the subs part because I usually just throw them out instinctively (I usually buy thru the kiosks and they spit out like 4-5 papers for one movie). Nonetheless, hopefully they find another way to float themselves that doesn't involve taking advantage of people that have supported them.

quincy

The AG complaint is good.

It appears MoviePass was not prepared for the large consumer response it received to its offered service and problems spiraled from there. I understand it is working hard to improve its customer service.

I hope the problem you have had will be remedied soon. Good luck.

FlyingRon

If you paid with credit card, try protesting it with them. Also, tell them that you have canceled the service and wish to no longer have any charges from that merchant honored.

nwlce

Thanks everyone to those seeing this for the first time wondering what's going on here's a Spark Notes version - it's now being picked up by media outlets: http://fortune.com/2018/08/14/moviepass-uncanceling-accounts/. @FlyingRon I was able to catch it before next month auto paid so I figured I'd keep it thru the end of the month since they told me last month when I cancelled that I had already prepaid for August. If they undo this second cancellation I'll keep that in mind though. Again thank you everyone for your responses - I sincerely appreciate all of the assistance!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">