• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

substance abuse disability in physician

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DG41

I am an anesthesiologist in florida who was treated for intravenous substance abuse of anesthetic drugs. I still have my license and am in the state program for impaired physicians. I received disability from UNUM for about 18 months and they have now terminated benefits. My doctor is furious and doesnt' think I should return to anesthesia. Any thoughts on how best to approach this? The policy is a privately purchased policy.

ALawyer

Many disability policies have a specific time limit on the duration benefits will be paid. Some pay to age 65 (or older) and others pay only for 1, 2 or 5 years. I do not know what you bought. In addition, many plans also have shorter limits on benefits for so called "nervous" and "Mental" disorders -- often 2 years.

Without knowing precisely what your insurance policy provides, and what the basis UNUM had for stopping the benefits, I could not speculate on an approach or your rights.

One key issue is whether or not you meet the definition of "disabled" under the policy - and some plans have an "own occupation" (in your case being an anesthesiologist) definition while others it is anything that a person with your functional capabilities and education is suited for, such as being a physician at a Doc in the Box, while others use a much lower test -- similar to Social Security Disability -- "able to perform any job that exists in the National Economy" which could be a gate guard or a cash register operator.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">