• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sudden Increase in On-Site EV Charging Prices by Landlord - Seeking Guidance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

California

Hello,

I am a tenant residing in California, and I recently encountered an issue with my landlord regarding the on-site EV charging facility. I'm seeking guidance on how to address this situation and understand my rights as a tenant.

Previously, the rate for on-site EV charging was $1 per hour, with a cap of $9 per charging session. However, my landlord recently implemented a significant price increase without any prior notice. The new pricing structure consists of a rate of $2 per hour, without any cap on the charging session duration. Additionally, there is now an additional parking fee of $4 per hour imposed on the vehicle after it has completed charging.

This sudden increase amounts to a significant increase in the hourly rate. Assuming a 12-hour charging time, the previous cost would have been $9 ($1/hour * 9 hours within the cap). However, with the new pricing structure, the cost would be $24 ($2/hour * 12 hours). This represents an increase of approximately 166% ($15 increase as a percentage of the original $9).

I find this sudden increase unjustified, especially considering that the new rates almost surpass the cost of gasoline and Tesla Supercharging stations. I am seeking advice on the legal options available to me as a tenant in California.

Specifically, I would like to know:

1. Are there any rent control ordinances or regulations in California that govern the pricing of utility services like on-site EV charging?
  2. How can I determine if my landlord's actions violate any California Civil Code provisions related to rent increases or utility charges?
  3. Are there any specific guidelines from the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) that apply to situations like this?
  4. What steps can I take to address this issue with my landlord? Should I communicate directly with them or pursue legal action?
Thanks,

adjusterjack

I don't think anybody here is going to spend the hours needed to research all your questions for you so I'm going to refer you to some resources that might answer your questions.

Are there any rent control ordinances or regulations in California
There are rent control ordinances in CA.

rent control california at DuckDuckGo

that govern the pricing of utility services like on-site EV charging?
You will have to read the rent control laws to answer that question.

How can I determine if my landlord's actions violate any California Civil Code provisions related to rent increases or utility charges?
You can read the landlord tenant section of the CA Civil Code.

Codes Display Text (ca.gov)

Are there any specific guidelines from the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) that apply to situations like this?
Call the CA PUC and ask.

What steps can I take to address this issue with my landlord? Should I communicate directly with them or pursue legal action?
That's entirely up to you.

Keeping in mind that hiring a lawyer at $300 to $400 per hour will run up big lawyer fees that you don't get back. The cost of litigation is likely to exceed the cost of the EV charging.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I wonder (somewhat rhetorically) if the OP has other options for charging.

PayrollHRGuy

1. Are there any rent control ordinances or regulations in California that govern the pricing of utility services like on-site EV charging?
3. Are there any specific guidelines from the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) that apply to situations like this?
I can find no specific rent control ordinances or regulations in California that directly governed the pricing of utility services like on-site electric vehicle (EV) charging.

4. What steps can I take to address this issue with my landlord? Should I communicate directly with them or pursue legal action?
Does your lease address the cost of EV charging? Or that EV charging is even available?

zddoodah

This sudden increase amounts to a significant increase in the hourly rate. Assuming a 12-hour charging time, the previous cost would have been $9 ($1/hour * 9 hours within the cap). However, with the new pricing structure, the cost would be $24 ($2/hour * 12 hours). This represents an increase of approximately 166% ($15 increase as a percentage of the original $9).
So...this whole issue is over $15? I get that, when you say that the cost almost tripled, it sounds significant, but we're talking $15.

I find this sudden increase unjustified, especially considering that the new rates almost surpass the cost of gasoline and Tesla Supercharging stations.
Not sure how you think any of this is relevant to any legal issue, but $24 to fully charge an electric car sounds like a hell of a bargain to me.

Are there any rent control ordinances or regulations in California that govern the pricing of utility services like on-site EV charging?
While the law requires a landlord to allow a tenant to install an EV charging station, there is no obligation for a landlord to provide electric vehicle charging at all.

I suggest googling "does a california landlord have to provide electric vehicle charging stations." As others have noted, the specific terms of your lease may be relevant.

quincy

California

Hello,

I am a tenant residing in California, and I recently encountered an issue with my landlord regarding the on-site EV charging facility. I'm seeking guidance on how to address this situation and understand my rights as a tenant.

Previously, the rate for on-site EV charging was $1 per hour, with a cap of $9 per charging session. However, my landlord recently implemented a significant price increase without any prior notice. The new pricing structure consists of a rate of $2 per hour, without any cap on the charging session duration. Additionally, there is now an additional parking fee of $4 per hour imposed on the vehicle after it has completed charging.

I find this sudden increase unjustified, especially considering that the new rates almost surpass the cost of gasoline and Tesla Supercharging stations. I am seeking advice on the legal options available to me as a tenant in California.

Specifically, I would like to know:

2. How can I determine if my landlord's actions violate any California Civil Code provisions related to rent increases or utility charges?
Thanks,
Do you pay the landlord for electricity or do you pay the electric company? I assume that you pay the landlord.

If the cost for electricity to the landlord has gone up, the landlord can pass that increased cost on to the tenants.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">