• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sue for child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Scorpio67

My daughter was emancipated in the state of Florida when she reached the age of majority. Then she decided to move to NY and applied for assistance now the state of NY is suing me for child support. Can they do that?

adjusterjack

Obviously they CAN do it since they ARE doing it.

In New York State, a child is entitled to be supported by his or her parents until the age of 21. However, if the child is under 21 years of age, and is married, or self-supporting, or in the military, the child is considered to be "emancipated" and the parents' support obligation ends. A child may also be considered "emancipated" if he or she is between 17 and 21, leaves the parents' home and refuses to obey the parents' reasonable commands.
http://ww2.nycourts.gov/COURTS/nyc/family/faqs_support.shtml
Appears that NY doesn't treat her as emancipated under NY law since she received assistance. Not exactly self-supporting if she needed state assistance.

I suggest you consult a NY attorney to see if you have some sort of defense.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
My daughter was emancipated in the state of Florida when she reached the age of majority. Then she decided to move to NY and applied for assistance now the state of NY is suing me for child support. Can they do that?
In what state do you live and in what state, if different, is NY suing you?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Just thinking aloud... If you are on good terms w/your daughter, you might want to see if you can come up with a way to help her financially so she can get off of state aid...

Just Blue

Is your daughter pregnant?

LdiJ

Just thinking aloud... If you are on good terms w/your daughter, you might want to see if you can come up with a way to help her financially so she can get off of state aid...
He should run some numbers both ways. Depending on income levels it could possibly be more economical to pay child support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">