• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sue Greyhound Bus Lines in Small Claims Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mark992

What is the name of your state? TX

How do I file a small claims court lawsuit against Greyhound Bus for refusing to refund the purchase price of bus tickets that I never used? I bought the tickets online in Austin, TX and I live in Austin, TX, but I noticed that the Greyhound headquarters are in Dallas, TX.

mark992

I bought Flexible fare tickets in January 2017 and soon after that I did not need to use the tickets. I followed the instructions on Greyhound's website to obtain a refund for unused tickets. I mailed a letter and copy of the unused tickets to Greyhound in December 2017. I spoke with a Greyhound customer service employee on January 16, 2018 who confirmed that Greyhound received my letter and tickets on December 20, 2017.

Can I sue Greyhound in the local Austin TX small claims court even though their corp. headquarters is located in Dallas?

quincy

You waited close to a year after you decided you weren't going to use the tickets to notify Greyhound? When was your travel date?

mark992

The travel date was in February 2017. I purchased the tickets on January 21, 2017 so I think the statute of limitations is rapidly approaching.

mark992

Yes. I haven't had time to deal with this matter. I paid $242 for the tickets and I hope I can file the suit in the local small claims court.

quincy

The travel date was in February 2017. I purchased the tickets on January 21, 2017 so I think the statute of limitations is rapidly approaching.
You can't get a refund on tickets if the tickets are not cancelled and returned before the travel date.

mark992

No. I have a screenshot from Greyhound's website stating that I had one year to request a refund. My request was made within one year.

mark992

I checked your link to Greyhound and they have since changed their policy. I can bring a printed image (screenshot) of the prior refund policy to Court.

quincy

The refund is issued only if you submit your request prior to your departure date. I think you will have a difficult time in court.

mark992

My question involved filing the suit in the local small claims court. I can show the judge screenshots of both the current and previous return policies.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My question involved filing the suit in the local small claims court. I can show the judge screenshots of both the current and previous return policies.
Almost definitely no. Read your contract of carriage for your options for legal action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">