• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sue individual in another country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BadBadMonkey

Is it possible to sue someone that is in a different country from the U.S.? For instance can someone in the U.S. sue an individual in Brasil?

Just Blue

Is it possible to sue someone that is in a different country from the U.S.? For instance can someone in the U.S. sue an individual in Brasil?
The criminal forum(s) are not really the place for questions on international civil torts. What state are you in? Is the suit from a contract dispute? Injury? Didn't send a product you purchased? What country is the person in? How much is the suit going to be for? Does the person have a company or property here in the states?

BadBadMonkey

I am sorry. I didn't know where to ask this question. If you could help me. I am in a southern state and this is because of online emotional abuse. Person is in Brasil. I do not know what the person has.

Just Blue

I am sorry. I didn't know where to ask this question. If you could help me. I am in a southern state and this is because of online emotional abuse. Person is in Brasil. I do not know what the person has.
Okay...Then you really don't have to sue. Just block the person/stop going to the site that the person is on.

quincy

You can sue someone in Brazil, but you must do it under Brazil laws in Brazil courts.

Online abuse can often be addressed by contacting the website hosting the abusive content. Or, as Blue says, by blocking the abuser or avoiding the person online.

zddoodah

Yes and yes.

Note that it's not clear whether you're talking about the suit being filed in the U.S. or in the foreign country.

If you're talking about U.S. resident suing a Brazilian resident in a court in the U.S., then there will be a substantial question of whether the U.S. court has personal jurisdiction over the defendant. And, of course, even if the U.S. court has personal jurisdiction and the plaintiff obtains a judgment, unless the defendant owns assets or has a source of income in the U.S., the plaintiff will be unable to enforce the judgment except by domesticating it in a Brazilian court under Brazilian law.

this is because of online emotional abuse. Person is in Brasil.
First of all, "emotional abuse" is not typically actionable. Second, if the alleged abuse is only occurring online, then there's a simple and obvious way to make it stop.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">