• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sue Merchant For Negligence - Wrong Product Sent - Fired Because of it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? QUESTION: Can I establish a civil case against a retail merchant who sold me a computer under false pretenses (phone sales combined w/ live chat), that resulted in losing my job (due to incompatibility)?
SCENARIO: I gave specs for a laptop needed to start training for new job. Was sent a laptop with inadequate processor speed, failed tech inspection w/ new company and lost my job because of it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What US State?
Why didn't you verify the computer on your own? Seems to me that getting the right computer might have been your first test of your abilities, and you failed.

What US State?
Why didn't you verify the computer on your own? Seems to me that getting the right computer might have been your first test of your abilities, and you failed.
I live in FL. The company is outside of the state. I checked the specs upon ordering, hence why I was surprised when I received it. I had to wait 2 days to get, which was out of my control (the earliest I could get it). I was on the phone w/ the company's tech reps for most of the evening, which made for a late night purchase. I had to wait until 11:30am for the new one to arrive and upon set up, I learned it wasn't fast enough.

quincy

What is the name of your state? QUESTION: Can I establish a civil case against a retail merchant who sold me a computer under false pretenses (phone sales combined w/ live chat), that resulted in losing my job (due to incompatibility)?
SCENARIO: I gave specs for a laptop needed to start training for new job. Was sent a laptop with inadequate processor speed, failed tech inspection w/ new company and lost my job because of it.
You do not have a legal action to pursue against the retailer because the laptop you ordered and received was inadequate for your immediate needs. Your job loss cannot be blamed on the retailer.

It was an absolutely clear response. It clearly states that you aren't going to be successful in any civil suit against the seller.
I wasn't responding to you. However, I will say there is one other thing that's absolutely clear - you are nettlesome.
This forum is for people who are seeking legal advice, who have limited knowledge about the legal system (consumer law in my case).
It doesn't necessarily mean they are mentally incompetent, lacking overall logical intelligence. I can do without your sarcastic unofficial notions.

Just Blue

I wasn't responding to you. However, I will say there is one other thing that's absolutely clear - you are nettlesome.
This forum is for people who are seeking legal advice, who have limited knowledge about the legal system (consumer law in my case).
It doesn't necessarily mean they are mentally incompetent, lacking overall logical intelligence. I can do without your sarcastic unofficial notions.
If you can't be civil to the volunteers of this site go elsewhere. Zigner said nothing to warrant your rude comment.

You do not have a legal action to pursue against the retailer because the laptop you ordered and received was inadequate for your immediate needs. Your job loss cannot be blamed on the retailer.
Thanks for your insight. This scenario is an interesting one. I recognized the company's IT dept to be lack of skill and urgency as well.
I have a laptop that passed the initial inspection, the tech couldn't figure out an update feature to work w/ an external drive they required.
This was the reason, I attempted to purchase a new laptop. I thought it would be easier on them...perhaps the outcome was a blessing.
Qualifying for training via the incompetent tech staff, was writing on the wall of future painful technical episodes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">