• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sued by Medical Provider Despite Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MkGlass

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

A couple of years back, my wife went to see a chiropractor. Before she underwent treatment, the chiropractor checked our insurance and said all we had to pay was a $10 co pay.

After about 10 visits and 10 payments, we were told there was a problem with our insurance. They said they thought our insurance had lapsed. It hadn't. We stopped the treatment to be on the safe side, whilst we investigated.

I talked to my insurer and was told they rejected all payments because the chiropractor was not affiliated with them, although we were told they were by the chiropractor.

To cut a long story short, we tried to resolve the issue, but last week we were served papers to appear in court for non-payment of $1500 (the money they tried to charge our insurers). My wife and I are very upset and have no idea what to do. Does anyone have any ideas?

If we had known there was a coverage problem, we would never have started with the treatment. We were lied to and now we are about to get dragged through the courts for something we didn't have any part in.

Bigfoot

Contact the NC Insurance Commissioner's Consumer Services office. Write up your complaint so that they can investigate your problem for you. There is no cost.

Bigfoot

The local telephone number is 919-733-2032. Toll free: 800-546-5664. The department has an attorney on staff to assist you.

M

MkGlass

Thanks

Thank you for the advice. I am going to ask my wife to call them shortly.

Time is running out though. The court hearing is in 10 days time. Not the nicest Christmas present I've ever received!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">