• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sued for fire damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? NY

My boyfriend and I have been renting a single family house for 18 mos. In Dec of last year, a pan of grease heating on the stove accidentily caught fire. There was damage limited to replacing the stove, 2 cupboards, a vinyl floor and smoke damage. Although the landlord told us "dont worry, thats what I have insurance for", I am now being sued for over $5000.oo from the landlords insurance co. They, Travelers, provided me with a breakdown as to how they came to the amount. Out of 57 items listed ( labor, paint, repairs etc), only 7 are true (totaling $1560). All labor and materials for cleaning, painting was completed and paid for by us at no charge. I have written to Travelers several times to ask for a re-evaluation but have heard nothing and they have now turned it over to a collection ageancy. Now i have this 5grand on my credit, and Im not even the one who was using the stove. I have spoken to 3 lawyers and have been advised to do 3 different things and dont know what is the right way to handle this. SUggestions??


Senior Member
Why should I waste my time? Being the fourth lawyer --- without the facts -- is not worthwhile.

One approach is to let them sue you, and prove the damage.
Another is to retain a lawyer to tell the collection agency to buzz off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential