• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sued For Medical Bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jfkfc

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I was recently sued for non-payment of medical bills from a local pediatrician. In researching the charges, it appears that some of the charges were not submitted at all to my insurance (which is the primary), some were submitted to the secondary first (who refused to pay anything before it was submitted to the primary, mine), and in one case, they mistakenly billed us $15, which we had paid as our co-pay (probably a dumb error). We had been in contact with the pediatrician's business office time and time again, and had received assurances (verbal) that they claims would be submitted, or resubmitted properly, which never happened.

I may be grasping for straws, but since they certainly stand to gain more money from us by charging us the price of the full visit as opposed to getting the discounted money from the insurance carrier, is there any type of fraud on their part? If any further information is needed, I will re-post as soon as possible.

I appreciate any help and advice, as I normally receive here, and thank you in advance.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They are not coming after you for payment in order to fraudulently get more money than they are due; they are coming after you because you have the ultimate responsibility to see that the bills are paid.

YOU received the services. YOU owe the payment. If your insurance carrier picks up the cost, fine, but YOU have the bottom line responsibility.

Sorry, but this is indeed grasping at straws. No fraud here.

J

jfkfc

CBG, thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure, but since free advice is free, I just thought I would ask.

I certainly understand that I, as the insured receiving services, have the bottom-line responsibility, does the fact that I was repeatedly assured by the office that they would be submitted and submitted correctly have any bearing on anything?

Thanks again.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nope. It's still your responsibility to see that it's done. I know how frustrating it is to keep calling and calling to ask (and to get nothing but reassurances) but you are still free at any time to submit the bill to the right place yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">