• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sued in one state, now have to move to another

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? TX

A creditor filed a case at the county court against my husband over a credit card debt. We applied with general denial three months ago and have not heard from them since. Now we are moving to TX (job offer). If the creditor chooses to pursue the case, will it be re-filed or transferred to the county court where we are going to live?

Coming back just for the hearing is out of question, we can't afford it. On the other hand, can they even hold a hearing where the case was originally filed if we don't reside in that county any longer?

If they can, and make judjement by default, will it still be executed in a different state? The law in Texas, as far as I know, is not as strict as in WY where we are now.

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential