• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sueing an ex in another state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? CT

In brief, my ex fiancee took from me about $2400 under false pretense, and I want the money back. She promises to return $1100 "sometimes" and doesn't acknowledge the rest, our attempts to come to an out of court settlement are getting nowhere.

The problem is that she lives in CA and I live in CT (well, moving there, in a couple weeks). From what I could find on the small claim courts web pages, I cannot sue her in CT court, and I have to be in person to present my case in CA court..
Do I *really* have to be in person? Just asking in case I couldn't find all the information or something.


Senior Member
Yes, you have to make an appearance in your case. That is the only way that the court can hear your testimony and have the other party able to question you.

So, you issue is... is the $2400 worth your time and effort or not??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential