• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sueing Public Transit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sugarbunny

I live in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. My mother and I went on the skytrain yesterday, which is like the subway, but above grounds. We were in a rush to go see a house that I was renting for school, and we were going to be late if we didn’t catch the next train that went by. I quickly bought my ticket before I entered the platform. My mom however said that because we were going around 4 stations over, that it’d be fast and she would pay for her ticket when we got on the bus, which goes by the same paying system as the skytrain. The transit system gives you an hour and a half to use your transfer. Apparently, my mom had paid double the price of one ticket on the way to the mall, where at this point we were coming back from. That ticket had expired an hour ago. Unlucky for us, we came across ticket checkers on the train. They aren’t always there to check, so it was kind of a surprise and scare. My mother didn’t have a ticket, so she gave them her old one she used to get to the mall. She was fined for not having a ticket on the train: $175. She is now trying to write a letter, as I speak, to the Transit Office about her situation, and trying to get out of paying the fine. She is really taking this seriously, and I’m afraid that it will go too far for just not paying a fine. I just want to pay it myself to make her shut up.

Do you think her plan will go through, and she would win her ‘case’?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">