• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sueing Roommates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lmalloy

I'm in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

I subleased with roommates, I gave them 2 months notice that was I was moving out. I moved out 2 weeks early and told them I'd be back to do a final walk thru of the house and to clean - they changed the locks immediately and would not allow me to enter for a walk thru, then took out money for damages on the house and also double charged me for utilities on for the last month which they took out from my security deposit even though I sent the money for utilities via venmo.

I have all payments for security and utilities paid through venmo for the entire time I lived there. I want to take them to court for the reminder of my security deposit. But, when I went to court to file they listed items I would need to provide support that I was allowed to sublease (ex: a letter from the landlord proving I could live there, a copy of the landlords license to rent, a copy of the landlord suitability) however, I do not have the landlords contact information. The suit have nothing to do with the landlord this is a despite between roommates. Wondering if there's a way for me to work around this? I just want my money returned.

adjusterjack

Sorry, but if the court requires it you have to do it.

You can find out the name of the owner at:

https://property.phila.gov/
Once you have his name you can find information (maybe a copy) about his rental license, now known as the Housing Inspection License ("HIL") issued by the Philadelphia Department of Licenses and Inspections ("L&I").

https://www.phila.gov/li/Pages/default.aspx
Then you can contact the owner and hope he cooperates with you on the letter of consent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">