• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

suicide/life insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kimme

What is the name of your state? massachusetts

If someone commits suicide is their life insurance policy able to be collected on ?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

kimme said:

If someone commits suicide is their life insurance policy able to be collected on ?

My response:

I've never seen a life insurance policy that paid a beneficiary if the insured decedent committed suicide. Usually, suicide, acts of war, civil unrest, and things of that nature are usually excluded events.

IAAL

HomeGuru

kimme said:

**A: no, otherwise there would be millions killing themselves for the money.

K

kimme

My father died and his sister told the police he had no other family and he committed suicide/ then she collected on his insurance policy.

HomeGuru

kimme said:
My father died and his sister told the police he had no other family and he committed suicide/ then she collected on his insurance policy.
**A: what was stated on this death certificate as the cause of death?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

kimme said:

My response:

Well, either your father lied to the insurance company about how he died, or his sister lied to the insurance company.

I don't know, but my gut instinct tells me that it was his sister who's lying. Not sure though.

IAAL

Last edited:
K

kimme

The cause on the original death cert. from the city said "peding toxicology rpt. " I called the Med. Exam. and they do not have the rpt back yet. HE died in 4/2003 and she has already collected on the policy. He did have other med. problems (diabetes etc..) but there is still the question because the police have a "suicide note"

Bigfoot

--Are you suggesting that the only way his sister collected on this policy is because she told the police he had no other family? The beneficiary decision rests on what was indicated in the policy.

K

knotcops

The life policies I write have a two year provision on suicide as do most. After the two years, you can collect. The thinking behind this is the policy owner has that much time to think about it. I do know of cases where people actually waited until the two year period was up and offed themeselves.

K

kimme

No, not at all. He could have left everything to his cat - I am suggesting that she did not tell them he committed suicide and collected on the policy in a hurry- as the toxicology rpt is still not back yet.

Bigfoot

The insurance company won't care what she says. If I'm not mistaken, they will base their payouts based on the death certificate.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

kimme said:
No, not at all. He could have left everything to his cat - I am suggesting that she did not tell them he committed suicide and collected on the policy in a hurry- as the toxicology rpt is still not back yet.

My response:

I'm trying to figure out why this even matters to you. If the insurance company has paid out their policy without a final death certificate, then that's their business. Since no one knows whether he died from an overdose or natural causes, all that matters is that his sister was the beneficiary. If there's a problem later on, that's between his sister and the insurance company.

Since this isn't your money, why are you are so interested?

IAAL

Last edited:
K

kimme

my concern is because so far everything she has said has been a lie, and I never knew you could collect on a policy if the person was killed/committed suicide.

so really, the money should go to the estate or be held until further findings.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">