• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suicide solution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WolfnDolphin

What is the name of your state?California
Since my marriage, my wife and I have put together several life insurance policies for each other, my children from first marriage and her son from previous mishap. As it stands, if I were to meet my untimely death, she would be covered for approximately $200k including the house being paid off. We are in some bad times financially (custody battles etc).
What does CA say about suicide and would that forfeit my wife's right to the coverage etc? Mind you, I am not suicidally inclinded...just trying to read the writing on the wall before we have to sell the house.

Thanks for your input and time.

WolfnDolphin

Thanks for the reply. I will have to dig out the policies. When you say 2 years does that mean 2 years from inception of the policy or two years after the suicide?

racer72

Your policy must be in effect for 2 years with no premium lapses before they will pay a claim that is the result of a suicide. Keeps folks from buying policies and killing themselves the next day.

elizabeth2

I can't believe everyone is just giving you information on life insurance after you ask about suicide. You would not be asking if you weren't thinking about it. Don't even bother to look at your policy. Don't do it. There have been 2 suicides in my family and everyone was devastated. You cannot imagine the heartache you would cause. It is not a solution to money problems. Talk to a clergy member, suicide hotline, friend..get help.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Elizabeth, I think it very unlikely that he's thinking about actually committing suicide. Much more likely that what he's considering is insurance fraud.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">