• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing a former roommate for unpaid rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? California

On September 21rst I moved from Texas to California to live in a duplex with an exboyfriend. He left(he still lives in the area, though) around the second week of my arrival and later said he wasn't coming back. I have since tried to convince him and his family to pay what he owes but they refuse to pay the amount I'm asking for. I was able to find a new roommate but this wasn't until after two months of paying my former roommate's half of everything. If I bring him to small claims court what kind of proof do I need to show that I have paid his half of the rent and utilities(he's not going to deny that I have as he thinks he was not obligated to pay)? Most of the receipts I had for utility payments were lost recently but I do still have proof that my father paid his half of the rent and the $1500 security deposit. We didn't have any written agreements that he would pay half of everything, aside from the 6 month lease which I recently had to remove him from so I could add my new roommate. Do I have a case? What should I do to prepare for court? Is meeting with a mediator or lawyer an option if I don't have money to pay them? Any advice would be greatly appreciated..
Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential