• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

suing a person who defamed you from another state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

capnbooboo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

So i am a NY based Expat in Europe, i have a sibling/sister who lives in Virginia and has emailed and responsible for lying about me to people to cause serious damage.
While her motives are to keep me from getting married to anyone so i do not reach a inheritance she already touched that belongs to me, and she did it by claiming there was a emergency matter and i was in jail or in a hospital etc.

Long story short, i met with a lawyer in france today who asked for details about the problems my sister caused now with my in laws and she concluded that this is a criminal matter instead of a defamation because of the way the French law works, so while its been reviewed she told me to find out what i can do about my sisters role on the defamation because she lives in VA USA, i was hoping on any advise with his here, the last time i spoke to police in NYPD about this they said it sounded complicated because she is in VA while the defamation took place all over the world.

Any advise appreciated

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

So i am a NY based Expat in Europe, i have a sibling/sister who lives in Virginia and has emailed and responsible for lying about me to people to cause serious damage.
While her motives are to keep me from getting married to anyone so i do not reach a inheritance she already touched that belongs to me, and she did it by claiming there was a emergency matter and i was in jail or in a hospital etc.

Long story short, i met with a lawyer in france today who asked for details about the problems my sister caused now with my in laws and she concluded that this is a criminal matter instead of a defamation because of the way the French law works, so while its been reviewed she told me to find out what i can do about my sisters role on the defamation because she lives in VA USA, i was hoping on any advise with his here, the last time i spoke to police in NYPD about this they said it sounded complicated because she is in VA while the defamation took place all over the world.

Any advise appreciated
I explained to you in your last thread that your sister cannot be sued for defamation in the U.S. because the statute of limitations will not allow for a suit, in Virginia or in any other U.S. state. In France, defamation can be criminally charged but your sister is not in France. And a defamation lawsuit would have to be filed within 3 months of the defamation publication in France, if you wish to consider a suit against your inlaws. You may already be too late to consider this.

I don't see that a U.S. free advice forum is the right place for you to get all your many legal complaints settled, capnbooboo. You can potentially take action against your inlaws in France but there is no legal action you can take against your sister, in France or in the U.S.

As this site handles U.S. law only, it appears you need to rely on the advice and direction of your French attorney.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">